Day of the dead

Never think of "Dia de los Muertos" , (Day of the Dead), like a Mexican version of Halloween. They have one thing in common, death. Halloween in a dark, wicked and mischief way and "Dia de los Muertos" in a colourful and life affirming joy. 

This festival dates from thousands of years in Aztec, Toltec and Nahua cultures. They couldn't understand the mourning of the dead. For these cultures death was natural part of life and the dead were still part of the community, kept alive in memory and spirit. During the "Dia de los muertos" they came and returned to Earth.

During all these years, these pre-Hispanic culture religious rites merged with Christians festivals and beliefs. It takes place during All Saints day (1st November) and All souls day(2nd November).

The real aim is to demonstrate loved respect for deceased family members. They have parties, parades, offerings, sing and all in bright colours to represent joy!

Mexico, tableware
Tableware-Villa d'este home- Amazon
What a wonderful tradition!  I cannot think of a better way of remembering your dead relatives. 

Today and tomorrow, I will remember my family by thinking of their favourite things...

1- "El abuelo", my maternal grandad,  by listening to Jose Menese and remembering how he taught me to swim very patiently. 
2- "Chato", my paternal grandad,  by remembering his multiple jokes and joy for life.
3- "Mami", my maternal Granny,  by toasting with Viña Esmeralda wine and starting to plan for Christmas. 
4- "El tio Federico" by sorting out my hats and and eating "arroz con leche" (spanish rice puddiing) with roasted caramel en top and reading his memorial book by my amazing auntie. 
5-  "Monique", my husband's and partner's granny, by making sure our cupboard is full of treats for visitors; she was always ready to make you happy!
6- "Jean-Luc", my uncle, by looking at photos of our memorable huge family trip to Portugal when we were just kids.

Just writing about it makes me smile. To help children to understand this great tradition, watch "Coco" by Disney. 

Who will you remember today and tomorrow?





Comments

Popular Posts